You may refuse or withdraw your consent at any time by contacting Duane Springsteel by email or calling 780.920.4565. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide, or continue to provide, our services to you.
Collection of personal information
Canadian privacy legislation defines “personal information” very broadly. Generally speaking, it will be information which:
is about an identifiable individual; or allows an individual to be identified; and in either case, is not information which is already “public” according to exceptions set forth in the applicable legislation.
In this policy, our use of the term “Personal Information” means information which is defined as being personal information under the applicable Canadian privacy legislation, and which is not exempted under such legislation.
Generally speaking Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number, or e-mail address. Certain information, such as your name, home address and telephone number, may be exempted under your provincial legislation. In addition to this information, we may also collect your personal email address, income and employment information, asset, liability and net worth information, and other information which is necessary for us to gather in connection with an application, pre-approval, or request for information concerning mortgages, loans or other products or services purchased or applied for through CDN Mortgages (including Personal Information about family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employees, potential guarantors and other relevant parties).
Disclosure of personal information
From time to time, CDN Mortgages may disclose your Personal Information to:
- prospective lenders, financial institutions, insurance companies and other suppliers of products or services CDN Mortgages is providing or offering to you;
- organizations or individuals retained by us to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of CDN Mortgages, is providing or seeking the information as your agent or who is otherwise legally entitled to receive that information;
- police or other authorities where in CDN Mortgages’ opinion such disclosure is required for protection of the public interest, including any case where we suspect criminal activity such as fraud or money laundering;
- any law firm(s) which may be retained to act on our behalf for any reason;
- our insurers and to regulatory agencies such as provincial financial institutions commissions or others in connection with regulatory or other activities relating to our obligations and/or our mortgage brokerage businesses; or
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
As many of our dealings with lenders and other parties are conducted through electronic means of communication, you specifically consent to our transmission of your Personal Information by electronic means, including by email and facsimile transmission, for all purposes identified in this Policy or otherwise consented to by you.
How you may get access to your personal information
Upon your written request, CDN Mortgages will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of all of your Personal Information which we have in our possession and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to Duane Springsteel using the contact information below.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, CDN Mortgages employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information.
While the processes which are employed by the various third parties with whom we deal for protecting Personal Information are established by those third parties, CDN Mortgages will not continue to deal with any third party where we have actual notice of a failure by that third party to adequately safeguard your Personal Information.
We endeavor to operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.